Atlanta Workers' Compensation Lawyer
Rights of Injured Parties at Work
Workers' compensation is a system set up by law to ensure that injured workers are compensated for an injury or accident on the job. If you were injured while working, you will likely receive a reduced amount of weekly benefits for lost time plus medical and related expenses. Workers' compensation can be a legally complex area that an employee may not fully understand. Many of us never thought that we would be injured and out of work so may not be aware that you do have certain rights under the law. At McAleer Law we firmly recommend the services of a skilled and experienced
Atlanta workers' compensation attorney to make certain that you know your rights and how they apply to your case.
Problems can arise from several sources. First, an employee may not fully understand their rights and what benefits they can obtain. Therefore, they may agree to something less than what they need and what they are owed. Second, an employer or an insurance company may have various defenses and legal actions that are intended to limit or deny your benefits. We have helped many workers with both situations.
Your workers' compensation rights include, but are not limited to:
- Medical, rehabilitation and income benefits
- Reimbursement for costs related to travelling to your treatment
- A list of at least 6 doctors from whom to choose your care. You may also change doctors from this list without the approval of your employer
- Benefits to dependents if an on-the-job injury is the cause of death
- Special benefits if your injury makes you unable to do the work you did before the injury
- Benefits if you return to work but at a lesser paying job due to your injury
- Payment of a penalty if you do not receive your benefits when they are due
As with most laws, there are specific regulations and provisions in workers' compensation that need to be understood. There are rules regarding the amounts of payments and how long these payments may last. When you are armed with the correct information and have skilled professionals working for you, your chances of obtaining full and proper compensation are greatly increased.
Contact an experienced Atlanta workers' compensation lawyer
when you need to understand your workers' compensation rights.